Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oktoberfests of The Times

Eric Asimov in today's Times has a writeup on Oktoberfest beers, featuring a tasting with Lew Bryson and the guy who owns Bierkraft in Brooklyn. Lew's one of the absolute best beer writers today, period, and an awfully friendly and accomodating man (over e-mail, anyway). And I judged my first homebrew competition at a table with Richard from Bierkraft.


I hobnobz with celebz.


It's duely noted that the O-fests being produced in Germany these days are starting to get lighter and lighter (both in color and on the palate) and that the American micros are picking up the slack. While Americans are producing some of the best beers of the style in the world (as evidenced by their favorable reviews by Asimov and friends), I would also note that some American micros are taking it a bit too far. Personally, I find that some of the Oktoberfest beers coming out of American micros are a bit too hoppy and/or rich.


I'll have to keep an eye out for the Thomas Hooker Oktoberfest, the numero uno in their tasting. Never had it before. My personal favorite out of Germany, Ayinger Oktoberfest-Marzen, did not make their top ten.


What's your favorite Oktoberfest beer?

No comments: