Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Unite for Unita!


There's a Unita Brewing event tonight at the Blind Tiger and I'm going to try and stop by to sample one or two. Unita is a brewery in Utah that has to adhere to some arcane law about beer not being greater than 4.0%ABV/3.2%ABW. Why am I not surprised?


I haven't been able to find a list of the beers that the Tiger will have on tap, but I think I'd be most interested in trying the Brown, the Pilsner, and/or the Kolsch. No particular reason why. And what's up with the Cutthroat Pale Ale and the Angler's Pale Ale? What's the difference? Looks like the same label, same beer, different name. I'll see if I can get to the bottom of it...


One other thing about Unita that I think is particularly cool is that they are 100% wind powered. I can't find much on their website other than boastful claims to that effect, so I'll try to get to the bottom of that one too. I wonder if they have anything on site or if they're just buying wind power from the local power company. I'm quite sure the latter, but it's kind of cool imagining a brewery with a bunch of wind turbines in the parking lot. If I were them I'd throw in some solar panels too. Heat the sparge water. Just a thought.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I can probibly answer some of your questions about UINTA(pronounced Yoo-in-tah) It's a Native American name. Utah has no such law about beer not exceeding 4.0% abv. Uinta and other breweries in the state make many products that are above 4.0%, including Uinta's barley wine that comes in at 10.3%abv.

I'm not sure why they've never come up for a proper lable for Angler's Pale Ale. It's just laziness I guess.

Uinta is 100% wind powered, but there are no wind turbines on the site. They buy all their power from wind farms in Utah/Wyoming.

I recomend Cutthroat Pale Ale, King's Peak Porter and The Anniversary Barley wine. If they're available. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Cheers!

http://utahbeer.blogspot.com

Tom E said...

It pays to read carefully, doesn't it?

There was no rep from the brewery at the Blind Tiger last night, so I didn't get to ask any of the questions that you were kind enough to answer. However, I did try the kolsch and the amber. More on that to come later...

Thanks, Mikey.